Saturday, May 3, 2008

Free Comic Book Day


I have only one post under my belt and already I'm off the schedule I set for myself. I can blame Alan Moore for this. At the library I found the Tom Strong series (at least the collections 1-4) and have been entranced by it all week. I've been overwhelmed by how good the writing is, particularly how well the various styles of pulp books / comics being paid homage to is handled, plus I love the way small things set up in one story pay off big in later ones.

My son's latest obsession is dinosaurs and this lead us to another comic: The Age of Reptiles. It is a completely 'silent' (i.e. wordless) and the fun part of it has been watching how Andras puzzles out the visual language.

His other favorite is Scrooge McDuck. Even dad pointing out that the Beagle Boys, who by their attempts to inject Scrooge's horded money into the economy of Duckburg, are actually the real heroes to the city's working class, can't diminish his enjoyment of the stories ("But dad, the sudden appearance of five multiplujillion, nine impossibidillion, seven fantasticatrillion dollars and sixteen cents into Duckburg's economy would result in runaway inflation!")

It is free comic book day. We're going down to our local and scooping up some stuff. I hope we can join up with Chance for the effort.

1 comment:

Chance said...

Free comic book day. Free swag is always good. It is good to see your son sitting with a book (comic or otherwise) and obviously reading it.